AAPPM Fellowship Status Requirements and Benefits
We invite all AAPPM members who have been in practice for four years or more to consider applying for Fellowship status in the Academy. We have many distinguished Academy members who have fulfilled the following requirements to become AAPPM fellows. You can join their ranks and receive recognition from your peers as a practice management expert.
Please go to the Resource Center section of this website to read the papers that your colleagues in AAPPM have written to qualify for this honor. In the future your paper may be posted among them.
To apply for Fellowship status in the American Academy of Podiatric Practice Management, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a licensed podiatrist with a minimum of four years post-graduate podiatric practice experience or a staff member.
- Must be a member, in good standing, of the American Academy of Podiatric Practice Management.
- Must have attended at least three, three-day AAPPM workshops.
- Must submit a paper on practice management or a single presentation of at least 20 minutes or two presentations 10 minutes in duration. These presentations shall be attended by at least three members of the fellowship team. All lectures and handout materials must be submitted in advance to the fellowship team for review.
Fellow projects afford the opportunity to think, write or speak about subjects that have a broad impact on the field of podiatric practice management.
A fellowship paper shall be neither less than 1,000 nor more than 5,000 words. It shall be complete with factual references based on your own or others’ experience and shall be suitable for publication. Topics shall be approved in advance by the fellowship team.
A fellowship presentation(s) shall be done on PowerPoint and have suitable handouts. Topics shall be approved in advance by the fellowship team.
Papers and presentations shall be rated on content as it relates to practice management and applicability to daily practice.
In addition, presentations shall be rated on quality of audiovisual and handout materials.
To Maintain Fellowship Status in the Academy:
Fellowship status is good for a three-year period.
In order to maintain fellowship status, you must attend one three-day workshop every three years and maintain membership, in good standing, of the American Academy of Podiatric Practice Management.
And, you must write a publishable article of a minimum of 750 words on some phase of practice management or prepare and deliver a presentation of ten minutes duration on some phase of practice management.
Fellowship in the AAPPM will help you and your practice gain valuable recognition in the following ways:
- You will be presented with a Certificate of Fellowship at the annual Midwinter Meeting in Pittsburgh. In addition, you will be presented with a lapel pin that you can wear proudly at all AAPPM and other podiatry events.
- Your paper will be featured in the member’s area of www.aappm.org.
- If appropriate, we may submit your paper to Podiatry Management Magazine for publication in one of their issues
- You are considered an expert on Practice Management which is good while negotiating contracts for insurance companies (efficient medical office – economic credentialing)