Robert J. Toomey III, DPM, BA
5035 Rockwood Pkwy NW
Washington, DC 20016
Associate Physician at Foxhall Podiatry Associates & Foot And Ankle Associates of Washington. Offices in Foxhall and Providence Hospital. Surgical Staff Attending Privileges: Medstar Georgetown University Hospital, Johns Hopkins Sibley Hospital, Medstar Washington Hospital Center, Providence Hospital, and Bridgepoint Hospital.
Wound Care Rounds at Bridgepoint Hadley Long Term Acute Care Hospital
Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC, Engagement Speaker, Jublia (efinaconazole 10% solution)
Horizon Pharma PLC, Engagement Speaker, Duexis (ibuprofen/famotidine) & Vimovo (naproxen/esomeprazole)
Associate Physician at the Florida Ankle & Foot Institute. Offices in Homestead, Tavernier and Marathon in the Florida Keys. Surgical Staff Attending Privileges at Fisherman’s Hospital, Mariner’s Hospital, and Homestead Hospital Current. Surgical Experience include but not limitied to application of Ex Fix, Monorail, Achilles Tendon Repair, Ankle Arthroscopy, Lapidus Procedure, Amputation, and Debridement.
American Motocross Association Supercross race day track physician. Superdome, Atlanta, GA.
ABPM Board Certified
ABFAS Forefoot Board Qualified
Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Residency with Reconstructive Rearfoot/Ankle Surgery PMSR/RRA at Medstar Washington Hospital Center, Washington D.C.,
Program Director: John S. Steinberg, DPM FACFAS
Washington Hospital Center is a 926-bed level one-trauma center in the heart of Washington D.C. Responsibilities have included a large quantity and wide variety of primary surgical assistance as well as clinical assignments and critical decision making.
Diabetic Limb Salvage
Limb Salvage Service at Medstar Georgetown University Hospital (June, Sept-Nov 2012)
Directors: Christopher Attinger, MD and John Steinberg, DPM.
Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery
Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery Service at Children’s National Medical Center (Apr-May 2013)
Director: Laura Tosi, MD
Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery
Foot and Ankle Orthopedic Surgery at Georgetown University Hospital (Aug-Sept 2013)
Director: Paul Cooper, MD and Francis McGuigan, MD
Doctor of Podiatric Medicine Degree, May 2011, California School of Podiatric Medicine, Oakland, California. Class President.
Bachelor of Arts in Biology, Minor in Chemistry, University of Redlands,
Redlands, California. Title of Undergrad Thesis Dissertation: Mussel of the genus Mytilus; their evolution, life history, and research of their juvenile locomotory abilities. University of Redlands, Redlands, California. December 2006.
District of Columbia License Current
Maryland License Current
DEA License Current
Virginia State License Pending
Passed NBPME Boards Part I, II, III
ACLS and BCLS Certified 2011-Present
• 07/2007-05/2011 Student Research Assistant to Dr. Peter Barbosa, California School of Podiatric Medicine, Designed Protocol, Performed research, Second author, and Editor of JAPMA
article entitled, “Transformative Learning: Empathy and
Multicultural Awareness in Podiatric Medical Education.”
Aided in the writing and submission of NIH R21 Grant for Mindfulness Based Stress
Reduction (MBSR) program.
Helped re-develop plans for MBSR in accordance with Samuel Merritt University’s
IRB and NIH guidelines
Helped develop protocol and organize HPV typing in research for article in editing
entitled, “Evaluation of Unusual HPV Types in Patients with HIV infection”
• 08/2005- 12/2006 - Student Biological Research Assistant to Dr. Edmond Pearson, University of Redlands, Redlands, CA
Designed a Research Protocol to View Mussels’s byssus threads via Polarized Lights.
Provided Research showing Mussels smaller than approximately 10 mm are active
and travel using their foot.
Provided further Research in the investigation of the reactions of mussels with
• 6/1/16 Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America Speaking Engagement, Jublia presentation
• 3/10/16 Horizon Pharma Speaking Engagement, Duexis & Vimovo presentation.
• 5/6/15 Mariner’s Hospital Nursing Lecture: Diabetic Foot and Education, Robert J. Toomey III,DPM
• 4/16/16 Fisherman’s Hospital Lunch and Learn Lecture Series: Foot Health – Running, Walking, Limping, Robert J. Toomey III, DPM
• 3/12/15 Mariner’s Hospital Lecture Series: Diabetic Foot Care and Education, Robert J. Toomey III, DPM
• 11/4/14 Mariner’s Hospital Lectures Series: The Problem’s Afoot, Robert J. Toomey III, DPM
• 10/1/14 Women’s Auxiliary Key Largo/Mariner’s Hospital Local Physician Speaking Engagement: Physician Introduction and Education on general Podiatry, Robert J. Toomey III, DPM
• 02/2013 - Frequency of Intra-operative Changes as a Result of the Surgical “Time Out,” Kelly A. Powers, DPM, Brent Gilmore, MD, Robert J. Toomey III, DPM, Adnan Karim, BS, Joseph Myers, MD, Paul J. Kim, DPM, John S. Steinberg, DPM, Karen K. Evans, MD, Christopher E. Attinger, MD., Georgetown University Hospital. ACFAS Conference, Las Vegas.
• 08/2012 - Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Training Increases Empathy and Reduces Anxiety for Graduate Healthcare Students. Endri Afesllari, Robert J. Toomey III, DPM, Gaye Raymond, and, Peter Barbosa Ph.D. *New York College of Podiatric Medicine, NY; Washington Hospital Center & Georgetown Hospital, DC; Samuel Merritt University, CA. APMA Annual Scientific Meeting
• 11/2006 -Uncovering the Mysteries of Juvenile Mussel Locomotion, The Southern California Conference for Undergraduate Research,”, presented by Brenda deGerald and Robert J. Toomey III. Supervising Professor; Edmond Pearson, University of Redlands, Redlands, California.
• ACFAS Scientific Literature Review, ‘Radiologic Patterning of Joint Damage to the Foot in Rheumatoid Arthritis’ Reference: Matsumoto T, Nakamura I, Miura A, Momoyama G, Ito K. Radiologic Patterning of Joint Damage to the Foot in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Care Res(Hoboken). 2014 Apr; 66(4): 499-507. Reviewed by: Robert J. Toomey, III, DPM Institution Medstar Washington Hospital Center, ACFAS May 2014
• “Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Training is Associated with Greater Empathy and Reduced Anxiety for Graduate Healthcare Students.” Peter Barbosa, PhD, Gaye Raymond BA, Cherly Zlotnik, BA, James Wilk, BA, DPM, Robert Toomey III, DPM, BA, James Mitchell III, BA. Education for Health. 2013 April: Vol 26:9-14
• “Transformative Learning: Empathy and Multicultural Awareness in Podiatric Medical Education.” Craig M Elliott II, PhD, Robert Toomey, DPM, BA, Brooke A. Goodman, BA, Peter Barbosa, PhD * California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt University. JAPMA. 2012 Jan-Feb: 102(1):39-46
• “Uncovering the Mysteries of Juvenile Mussel Locomotion.” The Southern California Conference of Undergraduate Research, 401 Golden Shore, Long Beach, CA 90840. 2006 Edition
• 02/21/2014- American Motocross Association Supercross race day physician, Atlanta, GA
• 02/2014- Goldfarb Board Review Course
• 12/2013 - Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy Surgical Skills Course
• 02/2013 - Advanced Tendon Repair and Fixation Workshop
• 08/2008-05/2011 – President, Class of 2011, California School of Podiatric Medicine
• 01/2011 - Accepted to Harvard Externship at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital
• 08/2007-Current - Member of AGK Podiatric Fraternity
• 2009 Member of CSPM basketball team
• 08/2008- Current - Member of Biomechanics Club at California School of Podiatric Medicine
• 11/2006 - Acceptance into the Southern California Conference for Undergraduate Research; Poster Presentation
• 2006 - Inter-Fraternal Council Member Representative, University of Redlands
• 05/2006 Dean’s list, University of Redlands,
• 08/2005- Current - Member of Sigma Kappa Alpha Military Fraternity (Minimum Active GPA 2.7).
• 12/2005 - Dean’s list, Concordia University
• 2002 -2004 Three year Varsity letter winner Collegiate Football
• 2000-2001 - Two year Varsity letter winner High School Football
• 1998-1999 - Two year Varsity letter winner High School Golf
• 08/2001-05/2002 - Student Council Class Representative, Dundee Crown High School
• 08/2009 & 08/2010 - APMA Student Scholarship, California School of Podiatric Medicine, Oakland, California.
• 08/2010 Podiatry Student of Semester, California School of Podiatric Medicine, Oakland, California.
• 08/2009 & 08/20010 - Vice President Academic Scholarship, California School of Podiatric Medicine, Oakland, California.
• 08/2005 & 08/2006 - Vice President Academic Scholarship, University of Redlands, Redlands, California
• 08/2003 - Dean’s Academic Scholarship, Concordia University, Chicago, Illinois.
• 08/2003 - Presidential Academic-Div III Athletic Scholarship, Carroll College, Waukesha, Wisconsin.
• 05/2002 - Rotary Club Scholarship, Elgin Rotary Club. Elgin, Illinois.
• 05/2001 -1st year of college tuition scholarship, paid for by Dundee Crown High School, Carpentersville, IL.
• 05/2013 - Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, Washington D.C., Team Physician. 5 hours
• 09/2013 - Castro Valley Diabetic Foot Screening. 4 hours
• 04/2009 - San Ysidro Podiatric Clinic for Less Fortunate. 30 Hours
• 08/2008 - Castro Street Fair Plantar Wart Survey Volunteer. 20 Hours
• 08/2006-09/2006 - Totally Kids, Community Service. 40 hours
• 08/2005 - Ronald McDonald Charity Service via Fraternity. 20 hours
• 01/2003 – 02/2003 - YWCA Community Service. 100 Hours.