The Mid-Winter Practice Renewal Conference is right around the corner! Once again, we have an action-packed lineup of workshops, lectures, question-and-answer forums, and general sessions with information that doctors, office managers, medical assistants, and other podiatry staff can implement right away to renew and grow their practice.
Use the agenda below to help you and your staff plan your weekend so that you can make the most of your participation at the conference!
Please note that we’ll also be offering our second-ever CMOM-Pod review course and exam for podiatry practice managers who wish to be certified. Please contact us as soon as possible if you wish to enroll.
Please click on the hyperlinks below, to download and view the full agenda for each workshop, if you would like to download all agendas click here.
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
CMOM-POD Candidates Only
8:00 am – 12:00 pm
- CMOM-POD Review Course: Our experts will help you review all the material you’ve been studying, answer any questions you may have, and help you prep for your exam. We’ll cover compliance, practice administration, employee relations, financial management, managed care delivery system, medical marketing, DME, insurance, and billing.
Lunch on your own
2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- CMOM-POD Certification Exam: It’s the moment you’ve been waiting for—testing for your certification! You can do it! Best of luck!
Thursday, February 23, 2017
7:00 am – 8:00 am Morning Lecture
- Coding Boot Camp – 1.0 CECH: Join this extra preparatory session for the full-day Coding and Compliance Workshop to refresh on the basics of coding. We’ll cover proper E & M selection, modifier usage, correct coding initiative, and much more.
8:30 am – 12:30 pm Half-Day Workshops (AM)
- How to Ensure Your Marketing Is Done Correctly, Be Able to Evaluate If It’s Working, and Fix It If It’s Broken: No matter where your office is located, there are more than enough prospective patients to ensure your success. But do they know how to find you? This workshop will introduce the tools and strategies you need to market your practice and teach you how to use them effectively, evaluate them accurately, and fix them if they aren’t working.
- Success with Durable Medical Equipment (DME) – 0.5 CECH: Whether you wish to dispense wound care products, therapeutic shoes, custom AFOs, or more, DME can greatly improve patient compliance and outcomes. Yet many doctors are abandoning DME because they “can’t get paid.” This workshop covers types and use of DME for many conditions, how to code and bill them, and ensure you comply with regulations to pass any audits.
8:30 am – 5:30 pm Full Day Workshops
- Coding and Compliance – 3.0 CECH: If you want to succeed in 2017, it’s crucial that you stay up-to-date with coding and compliance. We’ll cover everything you need for the upcoming year. Don’t lose valuable revenue to government penalties!
- Diabetic Shoe Certification Course (sponsored by Dr. Comfort): Medical staff will learn to fit diabetic shoes and non-custom inserts, know how to make shoe modifications, and how to order and use these items. A certified medical staff with this knowledge will fit their patients better and improve outcomes.
12:45 pm – 1:15 pm Lunch and Learn – Grab Your Lunch and Join Us!
- Onychodystrophy and Nail Barrier Dysfunction
1:30 pm – 5:30 pm Half-Day Workshops (PM)
- Practice Management in the Surgical Practice – 3.5 CECH: This workshop is focused on effective practice management as it relates specifically to the surgical practice. Basic success relies on setting expectations, ensuring the best possible outcome, and following up effectively. Superior practices also rely on surgical patients spreading the word! This workshop is presented in conjunction with American Society of Podiatric Surgeons.
- Adding Dermatologic Procedures to Enhance Your Practice – A Workshop and Cadaver Lab – 3.5 CECH: Dermatology is often an overlooked area of podiatric medicine, but the opportunities are tremendous. This doctors-only cadaver lab will focus on proper techniques for skin and nail biopsies, use of dermatoscope, skin flaps, and much more. Learn how to perform each procedure so you can add dermatology to your practice straight away on Monday! This workshop requires an additional fee and is restricted to 50 participants—first come, first served.
6:00 pm – 8:00 pm Evening Lectures
- MIPS, MACRA, and Alternative Payment Models: What You Need to Know – 2.0 CECH: Join this evening workshop to get a better handle on what these payment models mean, how they will affect how you practice and how to comply, and how to navigate them successfully.
- Healthcare in Trump’s America – No matter what side of the aisle you fall on, there is no question that President Trump is shaking up Washington, DC. Along with his campaign promises of dismantling the Affordable Care Act, he has also signed executive orders that may affect regulations in healthcare moving forward. What does it all mean?? Healthcare attorney John Leardi will attempt to read the tea leaves and speculate what changes we can expect in healthcare under the Trump administration. You will not get this information anywhere else and there will be PLENTY of time to get your questions answered!
Friday, February 24, 2017
7:15 am – 8:15 am Morning Lectures
- Everything You’d Ever Need to Know About Biomechanics in an Hour! – 1.0 CECH: In podiatric practice management, nothing is more important than understanding biomechanics. This lecture will help identify basic biomechanical principles and recognize how pathological foot conditions affect gait. Practitioners will learn how to select the appropriate orthotic design based on an accurate assessment of foot type.
- A Review of Contract Law for In-Network Insurance Plans, Hospital Employment, or Associate Contracts: In a contract the large print giveth and the small print taketh-away. We will review all traps in employment contracts and how to protect the employer and also how the employee can be protected. Health Insurance contracts, are a land mine for reimbursement. Know how to negotiate a price, identify land-mines, and maximize your reimbursement.
8:30 am – 5:30 pm Full Day Workshops
- General Session – 1.25 CECH: All conference attendees can come together for the general session, featuring an exceptional lineup of practice management experts sharing their best practices and top advice. Make sure you’re able to take notes so you don’t miss any key takeaways!
- Executive Managers: This track is designed to address and overcome the common challenges you face on an everyday basis including
staffing, communication, team work, and employee relations! Whether you’re newly appointed to the position or established within your practice, attend this revitalizing track to enhance your leadership skills!
- Medical Assistants: This track helps teach medical assistants essential clinical and administrative skills to improve both patient outcomes and office flow and efficiency while minimizing costly and time consuming errors. A panel of practice management leaders will teach attendees through hands on training and interaction how to perform to a new level of competence and proficiency.
6:00 pm – 8:00 pm Evening Event
- Wine Tasting and Cigars under the Stars. This is a social event with your colleagues, AAPPM board and speakers. You will be able to try different wines and/or cigars. Our goal is to help raise money to support the educational work the AAPPM supplies to the student practice management clubs at podiatry schools. These funds support practice management curriculum and initiatives, scholarships, leadership and development. Donations of $25 or more are encouraged, however, all donations are welcome and very much appreciated. This event is sponsored by BAKO Pathology, Top Practices and SureFit.
7:00 pm – 9:00 pm Evening Lecture
- Taking Your Practice to the Next Level and Beyond: Protocols, Services and Exciting New Tools to Enhance Patient Outcomes – 2.0 CECH: Learn about some of the latest innovative tools to assess and manage both diabetic foot and venous leg ulcers. Learn effective and patient centered protocols for managing your diabetic and elderly patient populations in the most comprehensive way possible. Both coding and compliance tools will be provided to help your practice grow effectively and compliantly.
Saturday, February 25, 2017
7:00 am – 8:00 am Morning Lectures
- Increasing Patient Compliance and Outcomes with In-Office Dispensing – 1.0 CECH: While many podiatrists have embraced dispensing medical and convenience products from their office, some still are resistant. Adding In-Office Dispensing products to your treatment protocols will help to ensure that your patients have the best products as adjuncts to their treatment and will also increase their compliance.
- Transitioning to a Cash Practice: Is It Possible?: Is dropping insurance altogether a realistic alternative? While it’s not for every practice, our panel of national experts with grapple with the issues and help you determine if this transition is right for you.
8:15 am – 10:30 am Breakfast and Learn
- The AAPPM favorite returns! Grab something to eat and take some time to interact with your colleagues, share top takeaways from the conference so far, and discuss questions and challenges you’re facing in your practice.
10:30 am – 3:00 pm Interactive General Session – 2.0 CECH
- Join your peers for our popular interactive panel general session. If you enjoy open dialogue discussions – this is what you’ve been waiting for! Talk with the experts about practice marketing, growing your business, the upcoming value-based payment models, changes in the world of health care, and more.
3:00 pm – 4:00 pm PICA Lecture
- Current Trends with Medical Malpractice Actions: The lecture will present, through case study examples, the recent developments we have seen in the world of malpractice. A major focus of the presentations will be the role of all office members in avoiding litigation claims. Additionally, he will discuss the trend where non-podiatric care has created liability for our DPMS.
4:30 pm – 6:00 pm Practice Management Answer Forums
- What intractable issues is your practice facing? Bring on your toughest, biggest questions! Then, hear what AAPPM experts and your colleagues have to say. Each forum will focus on different topics, such as Effectively Marketing, MIPS/MACRA and Value Based Payments, Ancillary Services and DME and Managing Your Office Team. Rotate through the sessions or stay in one if you prefer. Choose your own adventure!
We’re looking forward to seeing you in Tampa, FL this February! If you haven’t already registered for the conference, you have until January 20 to take advantage of our early-bird registration discounts. Registration for the dermatology cadaver lab with Dr. Dockery on Thursday, February 23 is also capped at 50 members, so be sure to sign up early if you want to take advantage of this amazing opportunity!